Thursday, February 5, 2009

Determining Our Freedom

He summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over unclean spirits. Mark 6:7

Have you ever called someone immature? I have. But I also know that I myself have been immature for most of my 31 years of life. I was immature because I was out having fun. I was hurting people that hurt me. I was stubborn in a hateful way. I was angry in a very angry way. I was out doing what I wanted to do without thinking about what God wanted for me.

Isn't that what immaturity is? We are immature when we live our lives with that sense of freedom. That sense of, "I can do what I want and who cares!" But now I live with more maturity and the freedoms that God creates for me. I actually use my senses when I make a decision and think about our Lord and other people before I celebrate "freedom."

I'm so glad that the Lord gave his Apostles this power to cleanse us of those unclean spirits that make us feel "free." Once I came to terms with the fact that this "freedom" I was feeling wasn't freedom at all, I was able to repent. I went to confession and the priest was able to talk to me about the things I was there for. Now I'm able to turn my life into freedom with our Lord. I have found that the rules He gave us creates freedom, not stifles it.

So how are you going to determine your freedom?

Lord, thank you for sending your Apostles out to cleanse us. Thank you for giving me chance after chance after chance to repent and show my love for you and live according to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment