Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pollution of Our Souls

Nothing that enters one from outside can defile that person; but the things that come out from within are what defile. Mark 7:15

Defile. What is defile? Defile is unclean, filthy, dirty. This Gospel reading is telling us that our sins come from inside of us. It's not the food we eat, or the people around us, it's what is inside of us and the decisions that we make for ourselves that creates the pollution of our souls.

When I think of pollution, I think of dirty, cloudy air that makes it difficult to breathe. I can't see things good and it destroys our Earth little by little. The same thing happens to our souls when we sin. When we make the choice to show malice, commit adultery, be arrogant, or act with envy, we are polluting our souls with sin. That sin slowly eats away at our souls until we bring them to God and repent for them.

So how will you cleanse your soul today? Are you going to go to Confession? Are you going to "come clean" with your sins that you and you alone have committed?

Lord, I know that it is I who have committed my sins. Please lead me down Your path of righteousness so that I may rightfully confess my sins and cleanse my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment