Saturday, February 7, 2009

Quiet, Rest, Peace

[Jesus] said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." Mark 6:30

"Rest? Rest?! No time for rest!" we say. How can we rest when there's laundry to do, kids tugging on my leg, dirty dishes in the sink, and my husband is calling me?? Where are we supposed to rest?

We are supposed to find time to rest, to find quiet, peaceful moments to pray. Jesus took time during His teachings to find quiet and pray. It's essential to us as human beings, as followers of Christ, to find that time to pray. Leave the laundry. Leave the dishes. Give your children a job to do or a toy to play with. Tell your husband to wait a minute. :) Go find some quiet and pray. Even if it's for a few minutes. Take that time for yourself.

I'm not saying that I do this often, but when I make time to pray, it makes a big difference in my attitude towards others. I prayed my Rosary Monday morning because I was feeling grumpy. I knew that I was going to start my day off bad if I didn't take some personal time with the Lord or our Blessed Mother. I sat on the couch, took out my Rosary beads, and prayed the Rosary. WHEW! It really helped. It usually does. But just that 15-20 minutes that it took me to get through it was enough to refocus on my life, on my kids, on my house, on the goals I set for myself that day.

So take some quiet time to rest, find peace, and pray today. How will do you that?

Lord, help me to follow Your example in prayer. I want it to be an essential part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment